Friday, August 5, 2011

26 weeks: Opinions

Just a short ten weeks ago I was writing about how I did not look pregnant yet, just chunky.  Now I look pregnant and strangers are letting me know it.  My least favorite comment of the week was being told that by the time my baby is due I will be wider than I am tall.  Now I understand I am short, 4'11, but this is ridiculous.  Where do people think a baby goes when one is short?  At least not all the comments I hear are negative.  My favorite comment was," You always look so great pregnant.  Do you find you feel good?  It seems like you have so much energy."  Why is so hard for the majority of people to respond more like comment number two?

I wish I could say that I walk around and hear people's negative opinions and it does not make me bat an eyelash, but this is not true.  When I hear, you look great, I feel great.  I think about all the work I have put into staying in shape this pregnancy and trying to keep my eating under control, though my sweet tooth does get the better of me sometimes. 

When I hear things about being large I freak out about it.  Could I be having twins and not know it?  If other people think I am so large, they must be on to something.  Should I throw out all the ice cream in my house?  Why did I bother to make cake for so and so's birthday, we should have just enjoyed a nice fruit plate instead.  Ug, I wish body image was not such a part of today's world, but it is.  Pregnant or not, WOMEN NEVER GET A BREAK.  We hear about it more pregnant. 

How do you cope with all the voices?  I know I spend a one to two days reflecting on what people have said.  Do I really care about what other people think?  God is in control of this pregnancy.  I need to focus on what is best for me and my unborn child.  In the long run, taking care of me the best I can, is all I can do.  Plus, strangers do no know this is my fifth child in six years.  The average woman takes at least two years to recover from one pregnancy.  I have never had a full two years out of pregnancy, so I really do need to give myself a break.  I do think about how long it is going to take to rid myself of an extra 25 pounds or so, but that cannot be the priority right now.  I would much rather think about other things. 

Let's face it, people are always judging each other even if it is not spoken.  One is more emotional about it pregnant, but we still have the opportunity to ignore what is not applicable and pray for the strength to think about more important things.  Taking care of oneself is important, but obsessing about pregnancy weight is unnecessary.  I have gained different amounts of weight with each child and they have all been healthy and I am still healthy. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marion! I'm sure you look completely gorgeous :) I totally get what you mean about positive versus negative comments though. My husband and I have been long-distance this year (back together next week!). Many people's reaction when I have told them this is, "That must be so hard. I could *never* do that." That response makes me feel so much worse than an empowering "Well it's tough but you two make it work!"

    ReplyDelete