Monday, November 28, 2011

Week 3 Postpartum: Post Baby Look

The days of wearing pajamas day and night are coming to an end as I am really starting to recover.  Thoughts of leaving the house are actually entering my mind again.  I even made it to church last Sunday.  It is crazy how somebody who really loves to be social can feel so attached to home these days. Now I have to start thinking about what to wear again.  Every woman likes to think she doesn't care and maybe some really do not care, but I have to say I do.  As simple as it sounds I feel better when I take some time to get ready for the day. 

So here I am putting off taking out my regular clothes.  This is the first time I don't really want to know if my jeans fit yet, or if I can pull off wearing a top that does not belong on a pregnant woman.  Unfortunately, I have gotten sick and tired of maternity clothing too.  There are two pairs of jeans that I can wear and not feel like I am still pregnant and the maternity tops are starting to make me feel three to five months pregnant again.  "I have been through this before," I tell myself when I am frustrated with what to wear. 

I wish I could just give birth and not think about the next several months of shedding baby weight, but it is impossible.  After being pregnant several years in a row, I know it important to stay healthy and stay in shape.  My kids are quick on the move and one needs to be capable of running after them. 

The first month after birth I like to think of as the do not stress too much month.  Embrace weeks of rest and when one feels up to it, consider a little bit of walking.  If you are like me, this stage goes on for way too long.  I find myself longing to workout again because when I start to feel better, I want the full use of my stomach muscles back and I want my legs to be strong again.  These are the places that get hit so hard during pregnancy and labor.  Even after preparing my body for several months, there is no way to easily bounce back.  Nine months of pregnancy equals about two years of recovery.  I have never had a full two years of recovery, so maybe I need close to seven years of recovery?  Does it even work that way? 

When I hit the second month I will start using "Post Natal Rescue with Erin O'Brien" and when this starts to be easy around three months out I like to add in "The New York City Ballet Workout."  This is not to much stress on the body and one can skip the floor work and just work on standing moves.  It is great for the stomach muscles and legs.  Then there is more walking a more difficult workouts to tackle.  Maybe even some running when one feels stronger.  I am trying to enjoy the month I am in, but also looking forward to what is ahead.

No matter what the case is, do not get down on the extra chub taking over post baby delivery.  It is normal and I do not know anyone who likes this look.  Clothing will fit again and pj days will end.  Someday I will wear my favorite clothes again!

No comments:

Post a Comment