Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Weeks 5 and 6 Postpartum: Soon To Be Free

These last couple of weeks post pregnancy are the worst.  In a sense one feels as if she should be back to her usual self.  It would be nice to have the household under control again.  Meal planning is in complete chaos partly because there has been no order to how meals were done the last month.  I am so blessed that things like meal train are there.  Thank you to all my friends who brought us a wonderful meal.  It helped the family out so much.  Let's also say that cleaning up the house has been a task to task and day to day experience.  I finally cleaned my kitchen floor for the first time in about five weeks.  Bathrooms are getting cleaned when I cannot stand the sight of them (around every 1 and half to 2 weeks) instead of once a week.  Laundry is a daily task and with double the diapers this has to get done.  I have around two to four loads of laundry everyday...one of these is always diapers.

Speaking of diapers, having such a big little one has made me think twice about homemade diapers.  If it was not so much fun, I would be frustrated that little Bria has already grown out of all of them in five weeks.  Some of the covers still fit, but lets face it, newborns grow fast.  Now I am trying to find some time to make some new diapers.  Beware that if one starts to make cloth diapers it is way too addictive.  I love picking out the colors and trying to make my own patterns.  You know you have a problem when you are scouting out your house for old fabric and picturing it as a diaper!  It is just so much fun...fashion that is practical and even a form of recycling.  I just love it.  My new diapers will be is fall colors, even though it is almost winter.  I got PUL in burnt orange, moss green, and my favorite plum (for something a bit baby girl).  I am still focused on gender neutral colors because there is that chance we will have another baby.

I still think in terms of what will I need to keep for the the next one--baby that is.  Even though we have five it is hard to imagine no more.  In my mind I have always thought six kids would be perfect, but in reality who gives birth that many times?  Now that I am almost there my thoughts are, what happens when I have six kids.  How are we going to make it with five kids?  God always has a plan and provides for us, but it does not mean that we have everything together.

This had been one of the hardest transitions yet.  It is equivalent to having our first child in a lot of ways.  I feel like our finances are stretched in ways that feel almost impossible (even if it is not true, or maybe is).  Sleep makes no sense anymore.  There needs to be some order to our home but I have not found it yet.  Usually I have figured things out by now.

Why are things so difficult?  For a lot of reasons really.  My husband just changed jobs and it should be good, but it will take some time.  Our house is full of kids...really full.  I wash clothing and I am still figuring out where to put it.  As kids grow out of things I know I need to store a lot of the clothing, but that just takes up more space.  I hate clutter, even if it is useful stuff.  Without the funds to redesign our home, creative solutions to all the mess is a must.  I imagine that will be one of my projects to come.

Now that I have been pregnant five times in seven years it is hard to imagine a world where I am not expecting a new child.  This is the first time I cannot picture what to do next or dream that I could finally have my body back...maybe not exactly how it was, but close to how it was.  What did I look like before anyway?  People in my life now have not known me not pregnant.  Isn't that a crazy thought?  Well my family, but they do not count.  I wonder if I will make it two years or longer this time.  How will I be different as a parent this time around?  I look forward to answering some of these questions in my new blog- The Liberal Arts Housewife.  Hopefully I will start this soon, but we'll see.  I am still getting used to having five kids.  :)


2 comments:

  1. Love the title of the new blog! Look forward to reading more thoughtful and personal posts. Thanks for being real about home and family life and how it's a lot of work, exhausting yet richly rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your writing and look forward to continuing with your new blog.
    I think you're pretty amazing Marion - the way you are parenting is how I hope I can one day.
    Thanks for your faithfulness to the Lord and your dedication to natural, organic living!
    -Camille

    ReplyDelete